Apple has started to send press invites for a special media event on March 08, 2012. The event is going to be held in San Francisco at the Yerba Buena Center for the Arts Theater.
It is widely expected, but not confirmed, that iPad3 is going to be launched in the event. According to nj, a photo in the e-mail invite featured a close-up photo of what is believed to be the next iPad and the words: "We have something you really have to see. And touch."
Specualted iPad 3 specs
- Quad core processor
- Higher screen resolution of 2,048X1,536 pixels. Could also have retina display, like iPhone 4, which means still higher resolution
- Upgraded front and back cameras
- Larger battery
- More storage (128 GB difficult)
- IOS 5.1
- LTE version could also be released
- Screen size expected to remain at 9.7 inch
What is retina display?
According to Apple there is magic number of 300 pixels per inch, which is the limit to which the human eye can see. Once the density increases beyonnd this point, there is almost perfect vision.
It should be noted that it also depends on the distance of the screen from the eye. As the distance increases/decreases the pixel density requirement also changes.
So just like iPhone 4, it may not really have a retina display, even though it would be marketed like that. Still, the new display would be a signifciant upgrade from the current screen.